Monday, May 14, 2012

I'm here!

This morning at 8:30 am Rome time (2:30 am-Philadelphia time) I landed in Italy. I enjoyed watching several movies, The Artist and Tangled on the flight. Both great movies! I also listened to Adele's 21 album along with Lady Antebellum's and some classical music while I tried to go to sleep. I flew out from Charlotte, connected in Philadelphia and then arrived in Italy. I took a thirty minute nap once I arrived at my apartment (I'm sharing it with girls who are in the ETSU program with me). I feel surprisingly well having not slept for more than 3 hours or so last night. My friends and family who have traveled to Europe, suggested that I jump into the new time zone as quickly as possible. I am doing my best to stay awake, but it's probably going to take a while for me to get adjusted to the six hour time difference. .

Enjoying a drink at the airport
While waiting for some of my classmates at the airport, Kelly, one of our leaders and I grabbed a Coca-Light. I haven't seen 'Coca-Light' since Argentina. The taxi ride from the airport to our apartments was a little scary at times. (Drivers pretty much ignore the painted lines on the  road...much like they do in other big cities as well) 
The boys in the back of our taxi van.
We're staying in a residential part of Italy. One of my roommates and friend Meylin, who is from El Salvador, and I discussed how where we're living in Rome reminding us of other big cities we've been too such as  El Salvador, Buenos Aires and Brooklyn, New York.

We ventured out to a market to get some snack food as everyone was pretty hungry this afternoon. My grandma packed me some buttermilk biscuits to bring with me on my carry-on. I'm so glad she did, they're delicious and quite filling! Tonight we have our welcome dinner and I can't wait to eat some good Italian food.  I'm looking forward to learning much about Italian culture and seeing all of the history Rome has to offer. 

Some pictures before I left. I was so glad my parents were able to take me to the airport.  
Happy Mother's Day!

So glad I got spend time with grandma & Ray :) 



1 comment:

  1. Yay, so glad you got there safe! I'm going to live vicariously through you! Love you much!

    ReplyDelete